Sunday, June 25, 2006

Further Progress on Household Work

I am continuing with my intent to accomplish significant things every day. Well, Sunday is a day of rest, and that's where I'm keeping it...but otherwise I have persisted. Latest was working in the vegetable garden. We're continuing to try to get it really going, kind of late but we couldn't help that for lack of soil.
We had soil delivered from a friend of ours; it is nicer than what we had on hand since most of the rocks and things have been sifted out. I think though that it is rather clay-ish, once it is rained on. It is hard to hoe and I will continue to amend it so that in coming years it will be good, fertile, and easy to work. So far, though, my shoulders get sore rather quickly working in it.
We are believers in composting plant matter from both our yard and our kitchen. If you contrast the compost with the clayish soil, the difference is vast. Dark, rich, crumbly soft soil is what we get. It also has a price to pay, that is, if we want to keep the remaining compost working. We take the worms out of the compost before incorporating the compost into the soil. They are red worms, which die if they don't have compost; they are no good to a vegetable garden but vital to a compost bin. So yesterday Tim and I sat together and divided the worms from the compost. There are endless numbers of them! I realize this isn't work everyone would care to do, but the resulting soil is a great reward. I drew a furrow with my hoe and added the compost, then blended it in with the clay-ish soil. We then scattered seed, put up bamboo posts at either end of each row, and labeled the rows. We also used some cassette tape tied to the bamboo posts at either end of the rows to delineate where each row went so we were less likely to walk on them--they also should discourage birds. I hate to say this that only took a minute to type took a couple of hours to accomplish.
Some of our tomatoes and squash plants were looking kind of yellow and so I added some iron to the surrounding soil. I hope it helps! I thought the soil probably was high in iron, since it has a red tone, but it doesn't seem to be--unless the yellow is from something else. A few days should show whether it is or not.
The weather is hot now so we will have to remember to water there daily. After a couple more months we should have not only the zucchini and tomatoes that we started with, but also spinach, radishes, green onions, maybe some peppers (they're turning out kind of wimpy), Swiss chard, lettuce...if we eat all that we'll be quite healthy. And we should have enough to share!
I have a great recipe for zucchini and tomatoes; I'll post it separately. I think you'll like it. Happy summer!

No comments: