Friday, June 23, 2006

Work a Little, Rest a Lot...a Perplexing Pattern

Well, on my resolution to do at least one project per day this summer, I think I've done fairly well. We have one bathroom that we've just turned from seafoam green to neutral beige...except for the ceiling, which at least is sealer-primed (I'm tired of the expressive color choices of our previous owner--and we might want to sell before long). Now we only have one room left that we have to prime to cover the previous owner's less-than-fabulous choice: the pinky red that is on the lower half of the rec room walls. The experience of priming first, and plastering major flaws in the wall board, makes us feel spoiled when all that is needed in the room is the paint itself. I painted our back bathroom most of the way yesterday (have to do the edging and some over the mirror) and it only took about an hour. Wow! Well, I do still need to do the edging...
Once I was done with painting yesterday, we went for a walk and after stopping to talk to some neighbors (who were gently berating us for not attending their Bible study...well, it's a long story)...well, after that, I could hardly move, so instead of going off the cul-de-sac we just went home. Sad when you get old and hardly fit at all for anything. I do try.
Katie's been doing her Pilates, maybe you've read her blog...and I intend to try, but I'm mentally gearing up. She just does it on the hard floor, and I don't dare until I get a good floor mat. If I did, I think I'd break a bone or something; maybe need a hospital visit. It looks intriguing, if not dangerous. She was sore afterward; thought she had an upset stomach until she realized the Pilates caused it...and she hasn't had abdominal surgeries, as I have. It does give me pause.
So I can try all I can to be tough and do the hard stuff (yes, painting is hard stuff), but then I have to stop for rest in between, which is perplexing. I hope that when I do start Pilates that I don't have to take a week off for every day I work out. If you see a short person walking in a body cast in the next few weeks, consider yourself hugged, or at least waved at.

No comments: