Sunday, April 23, 2006

Botanical Anemia, anyone?

If your plants are looking kind of pale and maybe on the verge of yellow, try adding iron to their soil! (I can relate, being prone to anemia...) I sometimes take the old SOS pad from my kitchen sink counter as it starts deteriorating and take bits of it to put in the plants that need it most--rhody bushes like it; so does your lawn. Even house plants! When you buy them new, they're nice and deep green; you take them home and all your others look sad. I think iron deficiency is one of their biggest problems!
Around here, you tear apart an SOS pad outside and it disappears completely within the first couple of rainstorms.
Do you start new plants from the old ones? I have spider plants and philodendron-type plants and various things, and often if I just put the little offspring or a leaf from the old plant into a little jar or vase over my sink, in about a week I have a new plant start. (I've even put a little wisp of SOS in the jar there!)
So I hope you have some fun with the little things I've learned along the way.

No comments: