Sunday, April 09, 2006

An Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe

This is a recipe that I have used since I was a kid. I got it from page 92 of my mom's I Hate to Cook Book, by Peg Bracken. The page is all dusted with cocoa powder, and the book opens right to it, because it's the only recipe in the book that we ever used. The original recipe had you mix it in the pan, but dry ingredients could get lost in the corners. Any kid can make this; it's heart-healthy in that it has no eggs; it also has no milk; and it's moist and tastes great. I remember taking the batter home from a 4-H demonstration, and my mom was ready to throw it out thinking it would be no good any more. I suggested that we at least try baking it--and it turned out just fine! And it doubles well.

Cockeyed Cake
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
3 Tbsp. cocoa (I often use more)
1 tsp. soda
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. cold water

Mix dry ingredients well. Add oil, vinegar, vanilla and cold water; stir well with a spoon until smooth. Bake in 9 X 9" pan 350 30 min. This can be doubled-or make in a pitcher and pour into cupcake tins. Just about foolproof.

Frosting: When you frost a cake, don't use that stuff from the store. It's so much cheaper, and easy, to make frosting at home! Some powdered sugar, butter, a little milk, and some vanilla--add cocoa powder for chocolate flavor. Only add the milk a tablespoon at a time or you'll have an ocean of frosting before you know it. If it's too thin add more sugar or cocoa powder.

No comments: