Sunday, April 23, 2006

Rags and things to wash with

I don't use all that many cleansers that often around our house. I do have them on hand and use them if needed, but often-times all that is required is a hot wet rag. I cut up some of my older towels into eighths, and they make great rags. Don't buy handi-wipes or any of those pre-soaped things unless you don't mind spending the money. I'm too frugal for that. We use rags mostly, and I bleach them in the wash and keep them in buckets--one under the kitchen sink, one in the laundry room and one in an upstairs bathroom. Once it's part of your life it's no hassle at all.
When I use a rag, I start with cleaning the cleanest surface first (or that where cleanliness is most crucial) so that the rag isn't soiled beyond further use immediately. As it gets dirtier, I use it in less honorable places--such as the sliding door tracks or the front door threshhold. After it's maxed out I throw it in the wash.
For example, in the bathroom (here's a place that I like to use a cleanser--my favorite is Soft Scrub), I start with the sink fixtures, then the sink counter, then the sink itself; then the top of the toilet tank, then the seat, then the base. I use clean ones for the floor. I definitely don't take a rag from the bathroom and use it anywhere else--it goes straight to the wash.
In the kitchen, dishrags (which aren't the torn towels; they are specifically for the kitchen) get washed when they've been idle too long (such as a few hours) or if they're too dirty, whichever comes first. I remember visiting a friend when my son was a baby, and needing a washcloth for his face--and she referred me to the cloth in her sink. The thing was slippery and smelly and I could hardly fathom the thought--it must have been in there for days! A little bleach in the wash, and frequent washing, makes these things clean and pleasant. For the floor anywhere, including the kitchen, I don't use my kitchen dishrags--I use the towel rags for that.
Paper towels are too expensive for me to use them very often. I use them where they work better than cloth, such as picking up eggwhites or sopping grease from a pan.
I've told people that cellulose sponges are machine washable, and they won't believe me. But when I was growing up, my mom did it all the time--and they'll go through the dryer too. They end up kind of shrunken and dry, but they work just fine when water is added!
As far as kitchen dish brushes, I put them in the dishwasher along with all the dishes, and they come out much cleaner than they seem after just regular dishwater. I've heard of people running various scrub brushes through the dishwasher too, all together in a special wash, but I've never done it.
That's all I can think of now on the subject of rags and things to clean with. I hope it helps somewhat. Forgive me if I insulted your intelligence! Some of this took some thinking through once I was on my own because I learned it...the hard way, on my own.

No comments: