Monday, April 10, 2006

My Favorite Cooking Website

One of my favorite websites for cooking is allrecipes.com. They have innumerable recipes in an easy-to-find format. There are some neat little features to use here: Top Tens, Hall of Fame, Most Popular; Meatless Main Dishes (less ratings); Cooking Light Five-Star Recipes (not many ratings, but Cooking Light's name is behind them); and various for particular nutritional needs.
You can search for something specific by the name of the recipe or by ingredients you have on hand. It might come up with 10 or 50 different recipes based on your entry. You can narrow these down by looking at the ratings for the recipe. How many people have commented on that recipe? How many stars does it have? If you find one that is extremely tried and true, it's a sure bet (you must see their Hall of Fame page!). Read your chosen recipe's comments and you might find some very helpful advice. Then you can adapt the recipe to suit your tastes and improve on it based on others' experience. You can change how many the recipe is supposed to serve, and it will change quantities of ingredients to accommodate.
I tried entering "Easter" for a search today. It came up with Easter recipe collections; various recipes that seem appropriate for Easter dinner; and Easter leftover recipes. There are Top 10 Easter Recipes; Easter Recipe of the Day; even Easter recipes from the Middle East. You can find Easter Advice too.
Then I tried "Pineapple Upside-Down Cake" and it came up with 16 recipe results. (Here's something I have found in times past: making this cake with a mix is indiscernable from making it from scratch!)
You can search by the person who submitted your favorite recipe or by who does the most informative commenting. Each recipe has nutritional information. You can also search by nutritional need.
They have Top Ten recipes for various categories. These tend to be their most recent set of favorite recipes.
When I find a recipe, I copy it and then go to Microsoft Word and paste it by going to "Edit", "Paste Special", and "Unformatted Text." Then I get all the wording without all the format, and I can more easily delete any unwanted clutter and format it according to what I want. I have different documents for different types of recipes, sort of like sections in a cookbook.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. It's a wonderful website for everyday, and with a holiday coming such as Easter, it's a big help! So happy recipe searching!

No comments: